EMV is Coming: Ready or Not

By Peter J. Quadagno

Participants in the payments ecosystem, including bankers, acquiring processors, manufacturers and merchants, are scurrying to implement EMV chip technology by the fall of 2015. But will consumers like their new cards with the “gold box?”

What needs to be done?

MORE [+]
COMMENT [0]

Love the Ones You’re With

Life Beyond Customer Acquisition

By Holly L. Henry

Customer Acquisition is Only the Beginning
Customer acquisition should be just the beginning of your relationship. It’s no secret that acquiring new customers is often times more expensive than keeping existing ones.

MORE [+]
COMMENT [0]

What Does a Dealer Have to Do to Get Paid?

By Steven Ascher

Much has changed in the prepaid space. Phones evolved from flip to smartphones. Growth from voice usage to data. Consumers wanted to purchase “prepaid phones,” — now it’s called “no contract” service. Even compensation for dealers has evolved.

MORE [+]
COMMENT [0]

Staying Ahead of the Competition

By Juan Collins

Today, business and technology are evolving faster than ever. In order to succeed and compete effectively, you have to stay up to date with market trends, listen to end user needs, watch your competitors and become the first movers to launch new solutions.

MORE [+]
COMMENT [0]

How Savings Accounts Can Create Stability and Stickiness

By Scott McCormack

By recognizing the savings aspirations of cardholders, program managers understand their products need to do more. There is an enormous opportunity to provide customers with a sticky savings solution that is meaningful across a wide range of use cases, and more importantly, one that drives more spending. Means for saving, especially in the case of prepaid customers, needs to be ubiquitous with the goal of instilling the habit of saving money for a better future.

MORE [+]
COMMENT [0]

The Answer is Paper or Plastic

By Randy Fox

The Question: How do you boost gift card sales? Journey with us on a quest to reveal tips to increase gift card sales in a market where the “the next big thing” always seems to be changing. Staying relevant in a fast changing marketplace can be challenging for organizations. Consumer needs are constantly in a state of change, and move nearly as fast as the technology and marketing strategies used to engage them.

MORE [+]
COMMENT [1]

Our Converging World

By Robin Tobias

So, what does a $500B+ industry look like, exactly? Is it comprised of a handful of multi-million dollar global corporations? Millions of small to mid-sized businesses? A niche customer base, or a wide variety of customers all with different sets of needs and wants? The answer is — all of the above, particularly if we are talking about the prepaid services industry.

MORE [+]
COMMENT [5]

Payroll Cards: Will the Market Big Bang be Busted?

By Madeline K. Aufseeser, Senior Analyst, Aite Group

Prepaid market growth continues to pump on all cylinders, triggered by the 2011 enactment of the Durbin Amendment rules. Topping growth charts are payroll cards, fueled by employer cost cutting desires to eliminate paper checks; Aite Group projects a payroll card market compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 20 percent through 2017. The American Payroll Association indicates that 90 percent of all employees receive their pay through direct deposit or payroll cards-therefore the remaining 10 percent of employees receive paper checks, prime targets for payroll cards. Based on current Bureau of Labor Statistics projections for labor figures and current direct-deposit and payroll-card penetration rates, the total potential market for active existing and new payroll cards is 5.8 million and US$42.2 billion gross dollar value (GDV) in card loads for 2013, a number that will reach 10.8 million cards and US$68.9 in GDV loads by 2017, according to Aite Group.

MORE [+]
COMMENT [2]

How Consumer Prepaid Has Shifted

By Joel Sherwin, ESQ

KAIKU’s goal is to redefine the consumer prepaid market, moving prepaid from the traditional “card of last resort,” to an attractive lifestyle choice for a tech savvy, style and cost conscious demographic. Therefore, we went into the marketplace with a targeted strategy to create a consumer-centric solution offering a feature-rich product with minimal, easy-to-understand fees and a sophisticated, high-end design.

MORE [+]
COMMENT [2]

EMV’s Migration to the US

By Peter J. Quadagno

Watching EMV’s migration into the US, many have noticed, through the work of the EMV Migration Forum (EMF) created by the Smart Card Alliance, just how difficult this transition might be. MasterCard and Visa, through their ownership in EMVCo, control the rules which become policies by which EMV functions. And not all eco-system participants understand why or how the rules accomplish the objectives.

MORE [+]
COMMENT [6]